Friday, January 30, 2015

The Holocaust, Day 4 - Class Recap


A quote on the wall of the Miami Holocaust Memorial. Our discussion today in class had a large part to do with whether or not we believe something like this could happen again. Photo taken in 2011.

Dear class,

This was a somewhat challenging day for me as a teacher, to try and give control over to student discussion. Although there were points where it was very quiet and awkward, I still think almost everyone did well and that the conversation was productive. Here's what happened in class today:

Learning Targets:
Knowledge LT 18: I can explain how and why world societies organize themselves and how power is established and maintained.
Critical Thinking and Analysis LT 2: I can explain connections between events, issues, problems and concepts.

Soundtrack: "Talk" by Coldplay. Selected for today because most of the class was made up of students talking about the rise of Hitler and whether or not it could happen again. Lyrics here.

AGENDA 1/30/15:
News Brief – Zac T.
Class Feedback
Socratic Seminar
Reflection

Homework: Read the blog. Next news brief: Jacki.

News Brief: Zac T. selected an article about this story for the news brief today: CNN.com - ISIS launches attack on oil-rich northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk. We talked about why ISIS might think Kirkuk is an important area of focus.

Jacki was selected to do the next news brief.

Class Feedback: I always try to do this at least once during the middle of when I am teaching a class, because it is important to see what is going well and what needs to improve. The questions (which I asked students to anonymously respond to and turn in) were:

What do you like about this class? What do you think you as students are good at?
What does this class (you, as students) need to improve at?
What do you like about Mr. Fritz as a teacher? What is Mr. Fritz good at as a teacher?
What does Mr. Fritz need to improve at as a teacher?

I am looking forward to sharing the results with everyone!

Socratic Seminar: This was the first time we have attempted to do this in class, so it is understandable that it took a while to get set up, started, and for students to engage in the discussion. That's okay - we will get better!

This was the reading that we were discussing in class:


The questions and answers that I wanted the class to do in preparation for the discussion on this were:

1) What happened so that Hitler could get power?

2) Make three discussion questions (not yes or no answers) about the reading. Try to base your questions on specific quotes from the reading.

I passed out this form for assessing how the discussion went, with each person being responsible to monitor their partner, who was inside the ring of desks:


I explained that I wanted the discussion to be student led and directed, and then I tried to get out of the conversation as much as possible. As I wrote above, this started slowly and I had to jump in at points to make sure everyone was being heard and to redirect the conversation to issues the article brought up. Overall, though, I was pleased with the conversation and I think you touched on some really important issues and questions! Thanks for being willing to participate. We will talk more about this next class.

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. You told me to post a comment so this is my comment :)
    Hilter was a crazy, insane person and it is kinda hard to believe that he was human because of all the lives he has ruined. When Hitler spoke his level of insane went of the charts. That's all I have to say about that

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so don't worry if you don't see yours pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)