Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Ladakh, Day 2 - Class Recap


Yesterday, we opened the walls so it was one big classroom with Mr. Puterbaugh, and talked about "Night" themes! This is a photo of Long Beach, California at night.

Hello everyone,

I enjoyed opening the walls up to have one big class together yesterday! Today, we got back to preparing for the Global Studies final. Here's what happened in class today:

Learning Targets:
Knowledge LT 17: I can explain how and why world societies organize themselves and how power is established and maintained.
Behavior LT 1:  I can manage my responsibilities as a student.
Behavior LT 2:  I can self-direct my learning.
Behavior LT 3: I can communicate and work effectively within a team or group.

Soundtrack: "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" by Pink Floyd. Selected for today because we took down the wall between the two classrooms yesterday! Lyrics here.

AGENDA 1/23/18:
News Brief – Bob
Seminar Defrief
Traditional Ladakh
Reading Work Time

Homework: Read the blog. Continue preparing for all of your finals! Next news brief: Logan.

News Brief: Bob selected an article about this story for the news brief today: BBC.com - Syria war: 'Civilians flee' Turkish assault on Afrin enclave. We talked about this story for a little bit and found Syria in our world maps, before moving on.

Logan was selected to do the next news brief.

We also watched the one minute BBC World News update. Here's the link to see the latest one minute update, at any time of day (it will probably be different from what we watched in class):


Seminar Debrief: I wanted to talk a little about how the Socratic Seminar on the Rise of Hitler reading went last class. I was super pleased with how students were able to take control and lead the discussion! I also randomly chose a few students today in class to give their opinion on the activity. It did seem like the consensus was that it was worthwhile and interesting, so I will look for ways to incorporate it again in the future!

I also told everyone that the Behavior Learning Target grades (students did a self assessment for this in class today) for the mini-unit on the Holocaust are in the grade book soon and can be looked at on StudentVUE. I think it is a good indication of where everyone is at! Thank you for participating!

Traditional Ladakh: Next, we started with the actual final unit. Here is the reading packet I passed out in class. Students were taking notes on the first section, about traditional Ladakh (very similar to the first video we analyzed last week):

We watched the first part of this famous documentary, looking at traditional Ladakh (through about 24:45 in, before stopping).  Students are analyzing how the region has changed, and how geography, culture, and structures of power play a role in the society.



This is an old movie, for sure (I remember watching it when I was in high school), and also so good at going over the themes we have been talking about all semester. After the first part of the video, I gave students the rest of class to be reading the Traditional Ladakh portion of the handout (the first three pages) and completing the notes on the different learning targets. We will pick back up next class with learning about Modern Ladakh! Thanks, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so don't worry if you don't see yours pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)